Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Day 3 - Pacing Myself and Address Books

It's day 3 of my letter writing project, and I've written more than 3 letters. This week I am trying to pace myself. It is hard not to just write EVERYONE a letter right now! I think pace will be key, though, and crucial in not burning out and giving up the project.

Also, I want the mindfulness to remain a central part of the project. I don't want to just start writing letters because I have to in order to do this project that I've given myself. I want each letter to be filled with intention, love, and presence, and for each act of letter writing to be sacred. These are my intentions for this project. The moment it starts being otherwise, if it ever does, I will need to check in and reevaluate.

I've noticed that I need updated addresses for many people. My old address book - which isn't that old, circa 2005 - is really more like a time capsule. I have receipts and train tickets and movie stubs stuffed in it. Inside it, among other things, is the train ticket to Katoomba on February 5, 2007 that took me to meet my husband! That's a keeper. Many of the names in there I'm no longer in touch with. Unfortunately, for those same names, I either only have a phone number or an outdated address.

So, one thing I'd like to do this week is get a nice, new address book to add my addresses to. My old one is too small to allow for more entries (though it was such a good friend in my travels across the US, to Australia, New Zealand, Japan and back again!). I will of course keep the old one, being the time capsule that it is.

For now, as word of my letter writing project has slowly gotten out (via facebook - this blog isn't public yet), I have been scrawling addresses on post-it notes on my desk. I now have a stack, or, when they're laid out, the length of half my desk, which will keep my first week filled.

If you're reading this, and would like a letter, please send me your address!


1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful project! I thought I was one of the only people out there who still appreciated the art of writing letters. I would love to be added as one of your pen-pals...I will message you my address. I'll even write you a letter back!

    ReplyDelete