Monday, October 3, 2011

Save the Post Office Campaign Part 2: Write to Darrell Issa

I feel strongly about saving the post office. As I mentioned in the last post, it's the latest victim in our over-privatized, cut-happy society. I find it to be interesting that this has become an issue since I started this letter writing project. While there were many intentions behind my project, being political was not one of them. That has changed. It is most definitely political now.

And if Representative Darrell Issa (R-CA, happens to be my district's representative) has his way, the post office will be the latest government service to get cut - with his proposed bill ending free door-to-door delivery.

According to this blog:

"Issa’s bill would, among other steps, empower a new oversight board to recommend post office closures and try to shave costs by moving away from to-the-door delivery."

It would also result in cutting over 200,000 post office jobs. Seems like a funny thing to do when unemployment is so high, doesn't it? Aren't we supposed to be focused on creating jobs, and not cutting them?

If you care about having your mail delivered, I urge you to WRITE A LETTER to Darrell Issa. Ironically, I could not find an address on Issa's web site - I had to search the Congress main page, and the only address I could find was the generic House of Representatives address. Alternatively, write to your own representative to tell them that you oppose this bill.

Darrell Issa (R-CA)
U.S. House of Representatives
Washington, DC 20515

Make it short and sweet. Put it on nice stationery. But write a letter, and tell your Congressional representatives that you oppose these cuts (if you do in fact oppose them!).

No comments:

Post a Comment