Wednesday, August 10, 2011
This letter writing project has become a source of exponential joy! Even more so than I imagined when I conceived of the project. My joy of writing the letter seems to increase at each step of the way:
1. I write the letter, with mindfulness and intention. Sometimes I include an inspirational quote from one of my favorites like Rumi, Rilke or Einstein. I feel happy as I write the letter.
2. I put the letter in the mailbox. I always feel a little excited when I do this. I wonder if I'm the only person who puts letters in my apartment mailbox. I wonder if the mailman likes my Nancy Drew stationery, or if he notices (I bet he does).
3. Several days later, someone receives a letter, and I always get an email or message or some form of communication in which they tell me how happy the letter made them feel.
4. Knowing that they are happy, I immediately feel happier!
5. Possibly, they pick up a pen to write back, and the cycle continues for them....
....and on and on and on!
Actually, there are even stages BEFORE writing the letter. Sometimes I have to request an address - and even just the request for someone's address starts the cycle of joy!
1. I request an address, sometimes getting in touch with someone I haven't been in touch with for a while.
2. They respond enthusiastically, and express excitement about getting a letter.
3. I feel excited about sending the letter, and proceed with steps 1-5 above.
So far, the project is going beyond it's intended effects - meeting them, and exceeding them. I feel like it's only the tip of the iceberg....